Nitrogen Purging Applications
Using Infrared Portable Gas Detector Type PGD3-IR
For the detection of the presence of Methane in tanks or other containers
- Uses dual infrared gas sensors to measures up to 100% volume methane.
- An oxygen sensor may be optionally fitted to provide a rising oxygen alarm where it is necessary to maintain a low oxygen level within the container.
- Internal pump as standard.
- Robust construction - high impact resistance.
- Data Logging in 3 modes.
- Peak readings facility for pre - entry testing.
- Displays in scientific units
- Sensor zero function.
- Fully reprogrammable without removal from protective case.
- Serial number and calibration due dates stored within instrument.
- Display contrast adjustable via instrument menu.
- Display backlighting.
- Power and Fault indicators.
- Low battery alarm.
- Choice of mains powered or vehicle powered chargers.
- Calibration via a PC using specially designed Windows software.
- Extensive software support.
- Accessories to provide aspiration.
- Protective rubber case and body harness.
Baseefa 03ATEX0235X | Code II 2G EEx ia IIC T3 | Zones 0, 1, 2
Download Certificate - (see pages 7 & 8 )
Infrared gas sensors do not respond to Hydrogen gas. If there is the possibility of Hydrogen being present in your application you should use a PGD2 Nitrogen Purging instrument fitted with sensors which will detect both Hydrocarbon and Hydrogen gases
The Nitrogen Purging of containers such as storage tanks which normally hold hazardous substances may be necessary in order to permit the safe entry of personnel and/or machinery for cleaning or other maintenance work. The nitrogen purging is carried out in order to drive out the potentially explosive or toxic atmosphere that would normally exist within the container. If the oxygen level within the container can be maintained at a low level, e.g. less than 3% volume, then the risk of an explosion during maintenance is eliminated. Personnel entering the container will be equipped with special protective suits incorporating breathing apparatus.
The Status Scientific Controls 'Mentor' portable gas detector type PGD3-IR Methane Purging is an intrinsically safe portable multi-gas monitor for use in Group IIC potentially explosive atmospheres. Click here for further details of the general description of the PGD3-IR.
The Nitrogen Purging version of the instrument is specifically designed for use in the situation described above. Unlike older gas sensing technologies, by using infrared gas sensors, the presence of oxygen is not necessary in order to the detector to be able to correctly measure the level of the flammable gas. The instrument is fitted with dual sensors, one covering the range 0-5% Methane and the other covering the range 0-100% methane. Their operation is automatically controlled by the software.
The data logging facility available within the instrument allow the level of gas measured to be stored for downloading to a personal computer at the end of the work period
The instrument is fitted with a pump and is supplied with a probe.
The instrument comprises the following main parts: -
- The main instrument case moulded in high impact resistance "Bayblend" internally coated to provide electromagnetic shielding. A belt clip and suspension hook may be optionally fitted during manufacture.
- A removable battery pack.
- A large red lens section containing flashing led indications, audible alarm and infra-red communications link.
- Gas sensors and control electronics (contained in anti-impact mountings) housed within the main instrument case section.
- A two line by 16-character liquid crystal display with backlight.
- A four-key membrane type front panel control switch, large enough to be operated by a gloved hand.
- A two-key membrane type top panel control switch. This membrane also carries the power and fault indicators and certification data.
- Gas sensor inlets which are separately sealed to help prevent water ingress to the instrument electronics.
- A nameplate carrying the serial number of the instrument.
The instrument is supplied fitted with a Red moulded rubber boot which provides good protection in hostile environments.
The instrument can be both charged and calibrated without removal from the boot.
Note - It is a condition for safe use that the boot is always fitted when used in a potentially explosive atmosphere.
A body harness is also supplied as standard and comprises shoulder and waist straps which attach to the moulded rubber boot. These straps can also be utilised to lower the instrument during pre-entry checks.
The instrument is powered from a rechargeable battery pack.
Note - It is a condition for safe use that the battery pack may only be recharged in a safe area.
Nitrogen Purging Gas Detector - Order Codes
|SS920P||PGD3-IR NITROGEN PURGING (PUMPED)|
|SS921P||PGD3-IR NITROGEN PURGING/OXYGEN (PUMPED)|
Versions fitted with a hook and belt clip are available. These can be ordered by the addition of a suffix to the basic instrument stock number listed in the table as follows:-
H - Fitted with a suspension hook and belt clip